INCIDENT – NARODA PATIA
1. PLACE OF THE INCIDENT: NARODA PATIYA
2. DATE OF INCIDENT: 28.2.02
3. TIME OF INCIDENT: MORNING 9 AM TO EVENING 6 PM
4. NUMBER OF DEAD: 150
5. POLICE STATION/POLICE CHOWKI: NARODA
6. POLICE OFFICERS NAME: K.K MYSOREVALA, V.S. GOHIL
7. NAME OF THE WARD: NARODA
8. NAME OF THE CORPORATOR: KAMALA BEN PATTANI. PRASHANT JADAV, KISHAN SINGH TOMAL
9. TOTAL NUMBER OF FIRS FILED: 48
10. TOTAL NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS FILED BY CI: 3
11. BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE INCIDENT: One of the most well organized incidents, Naroda Patia, has the maximum number of people shifting to the camps. The attack started at around 9 in the morning and continued till late evening. This is a reconstruction of events based on the complaints received by the citizen’s initiative. A mob, ever increasing in size attacked the people in the locality. They were armed with weapons like trishuls, swords, petrol, kerosene etc. They were raising slogans of Jai Shri Ram, Maro-Kapo, Miyan ne Pakistan Moklo etc. Some people in the mob had orange flags in their hands. The police was present with the mob. But instead of helping the victims, police actually opened fire at them and several Muslims were injured in the process. The SRP head quarters are in vicinity. When some of the victims approached the SRP people, they were told that the SRP can not help them. The mob indulged in looting, killing and burning. We have the analysis done of some of the people in the camps who are from Naroda Patia which is indicative of what happened in the incident. The details of the specific areas affected is also attached. The mob was led by Dr. Jaideep Patel and other religious/political leaders. Maruti van no. GJA 1893, GJ-1 A1 418, GJ-1 A3 631 and Tata Sumo number 3700/3144/3077 were used by people in the mob. Dr. Jaydeep Patel’s name has been mentioned in atleast 17 incidents. Mr. Suresh Chara [langdo] has been named in 16 incidents. Bipin Autowala has been named in at least 10 incidents and Ashokbhai Patel who is a corporator was seen instigating the attacks on Kumbharvas and other areas. Guddu Chara has been named in at least 6 incidents. Of the people who have been injured maximum have reported injury by firing followed by burns, orthopedic and surgical injuries. Out of 31 people injured 10 have reported grievous injury and the weapons used have been stones, sharp weapons, acid, kerosene etc. Of 67 people who have died, 50 are male and 16 are females. In 42.42% cases post mortem was done. 76.12% died in the absence of medical help. Almost 8% people died in police firing, 1.55 people died in private firing. Large percentage of people have died due to burns.
12. ROLE OF POLICE: 68.25 of the respondents say that police was present on the scene of the crime. 41% say that they had complained to the police. 36% state that police did nothing to support them and 465 say that they actually acted against them. This included opening fire on the Muslims, encouraging the crowd or leading the people to areas where the mobs were or cornering them so that they are easy victims for the mobs.
13. ROLE OF FIRE BRIGADE: 30.8% of the respondents informed the fire brigade, 62.5% respondents say that the fire brigade did not turn up at all and 0.3% say that the fire brigade came but was denied entry by the mobs.
14. INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE: Ashokbhai (Corporator) Bipinbhai Panchal (Autowala) Dr. Jaydeep Patel, Guddu Chhara, Dr. Mayaben, Kotvani
15. TOTAL NUMBER OF FORMS FILLED IN SURVEY: 153
16. TOTAL NUMBER OF DEAD IN SURVEY: 67
17. TOTAL NUMBER OF INJURED IN SURVEY: 19
18. NO. OF RAPE VICTIMS IN SURVEY: 5
19. AREAS DESTROYED: Aashiyana nagar, Hussainnagar, Jawaharnagar, Jawannagar, Zikarhussain ni chali, Kumbharvas, Chetandas ni chali, jakarsan chali, Mahera chal, sindhi ni chali, Roshani row house, Imam bibi ni chal and others.
1. PLACE OF THE INCIDENT: CHAMANPURA
2. DATE OF INCIDENT: 28.2.02
3. TIME OF INCIDENT: MORNING 9 AM ONWARDS
4. NUMBER OF DEAD: 50
5. POLICE STATION/POLICE CHOWKI: SHAHIBAUG
6. POLICE OFFICERS NAME: N.N. PATHAN , D.R. RAOL
7. NAME OF THE WARD: ASHARVA
8. NAME OF THE CORPORATOR: KIRTI PATEL, RAMESH PATTANI, BIPIN PATEL
9. TOTAL NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS FILED BY CI: 1
10. BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE INCIDENT: The incident became highly publicised because of the killing of Ahsan Jaffrey, ex Member of Parliament. The mob started collecting in the area from morning. They had weapons and inflammable articles. Several calls were made by Mr. Jaffrey for help. The place was visited by the commissioner, police but no action was taken by them against the mob. The mob increased by evening. Several people were killed, women raped and molested and property damaged. The people who are dead and injured have reported burning, stabbing and firing as cause of death or injury. In 12 families reporting death, 12 males and 9 females have died. Of this in 80.95% of cases post mortem has been done. Of people who died 85.71% claim that they did not receive medical help. 33% of the dead have died due to burning and 33% have died due to sharp weapons.
11. ROLE OF POLICE: 42% of the respondents say that the police was present at the time of the offence. 32% had complained to the police. 31.4% said that eth police did not respond at all. 54% claim total inaction of the police. 13.5% say that eh police acted against the Muslims and 13% say that the police helped them.
12. ROLE OF FIRE BRIGADE: 13.2% said that hey had informed the fire brigade, 39.5% state that the fire brigade did not come at all.
13. INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE: Naran Bhai, Kapil Bhai, Dharmesh, Chunnilal Prajapati. Kapilbhai is reported to be involved in destruction of Gulbarg society and chandlal samaldas ni chali. Dinesh Sharma is involved in Babusingh ni chali and Ankur cycle stores. Narayan chanewala is involved in hukumsingh ni chali and gulbarg society. 40.7% of the respondents say that the composition of the crowd was mixed, 24.07% say that they were outsiders and 14.8% say that they were locals.
14. TOTAL NUMBER OF FORMS FILLED IN SURVEY: 71
15. TOTAL NUMBER OF DEAD IN SURVEY: 37
16. TOTAL NUMBER OF INJURED IN SURVEY: 16
17. NO. OF RAPE VICTIMS IN SURVEY: 1
18. AREAS DESTROYED: Gulbarg society, Nutan mil ni chali, Dr. Gandhi ni chali, Somaji ni chali, Santoshben ni chali, Dhoop singh chawl, Hukum singh ni chali, Municipal quarters, Jhalampur ni chali, Roohsingh chali, Pathar wali chali etc.
INCIDENT – SAIJPUR PATIA
1. PLACE OF THE INCIDENT: SAIJPUR PATIA
2. DATE OF INCIDENT: 28.2.02
3. TIME OF INCIDENT: MORNING 8 AM ONWARDS
4. NUMBER OF DEAD: AT LEAST 23
5. NUMBER OF INJURED: AT LEAST 17
6. POLICE STATION/POLICE CHOWKI: NARODA
7. POLICE OFFICERS NAME: K.K.MYSOREVALA, V.S. GOHIL
8. NAME OF WARD: NARODA
9. NAME OF THE CORPORATOR: KAMALA PATTANI, PRASHANT JADAV, KISHAN SINGH TOMAL
10. TOTAL NUMBER OF FIRS FILED: 0
11. BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE INCIDENT: Incident started at about 9 am and continued till late evening. A mob consisting of people from Bajrang Dal, RSS, VHP, of about two thousand people attacked the area. They were armed with weapons and inflammatory substances. The members had come in an ST bus. The police was present there but did nothing to protect the people. The ST depot officials gave petrol to the mob which was used to burn the property. Towards the evening police opened fire at the Muslims killing and injuring several of them. A mosque was also destroyed. 59 incidents are reported on 28th February, 3 on 1st March, 4 on 2nd march and 1 after 2nd March. Out of 27 respondents 7.4% alleged involvement of political leaders, 18.5% alleged involvement of religious leaders and 7.4% alleged involvement of both religious and political people. 11.5% respondents alleged that mob was led by Bajrang Dal and 21% alleged involvement of other Hindu groups. 32.7% respondents had complained to police and 51% respondents had not complained to police. 46.9% pf the respondents say that the crowd was mixed, 17.2% say that the crowd composed of outsiders and 12.5% say that te crowd consisted of locals.
12. ROLE OF POLICE: 29.8% respondents claimed that the police though present there did nothing to protect them. 38.3% of the respondents alleged that the police actually acted against them which meant that they opened fire on the Muslims or led the mob to the victims. Only 2.1% of the respondents say that the police supported them and protected them.
13. ROLE OF FIRE BRIGADE: 21.7% of the respondents asked for fire brigade’s assistance. 44.2% of the respondents alleged that the fire brigade did not come at all.
14. INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE: Guddu, Bipin, Suresh Chara, Jaidip Patel. The name of Guddu Chara has been mentioned by 3 respondents, Bipin autowala by 8 respondents and Suresh Chara by 7 respondents and Jaydeep Patel by 2 respondents. There are several other names which are mentioned.
15. TOTAL NUMBER OF FORMS FILLED IN SURVEY: 105
16. TOTAL NUMBER OF DEAD IN SURVEY: 23
17. TOTAL NUMBER OF INJURED IN SURVEY: 17
18. NO. OF RAPE VICTIMS IN SURVEY: NIL
19. AREAS DESTROYED: Noorani masjid, Pandit ni chali, khemchandni chali, kashiram mama ni chali, jakar hasam chali, etc.
INCIDENT – BEST BAKERY, VADODARA
1. PLACE OF INCIDENT: HANUMAN TEKRI, DABHOI ROAD
2. DATE OF INCIDENT: 1.03.02
3. TIME OF INCIDENT: 8.30 PM
4. NUMBER OF DEAD: 8
5. NUMBER OF INJURED: 10
6. BRIEF DESCRIPTION: A mob of people came from Ganesh Nagar side. They were armed with swords and stones and kerosene and were making sounds like tribals and beating thalis. There were about 300 people who spoke Hindi and not Gujarati. First they looted the bakery. The attack lasted the whole night. Some people in the mob were Jayanti Chaiwala and his two sons, mahesh, munna, Sanjay thakkar, Jagdish Rativala, Dinesh Bakerivala, Shanabhai, person known as painter. We had contacted the police on the 1st march at 8.30 but it arrived at 11 am on 2nd march. After that I was taken to the police station where I was kept till 3rd march noon. My statement was recorded thrice but never read out to me.
7. FIR lodged at Panigate Police Station by Zahira Sheikh.
INCIDENT: MACHCHI PITH, VADODARA
1. NAME OF THE INCIDENT: MACHIPITH
2. DATE OF THE INCIDENT: 15 MARCH, 02
3. TIME OF INCIDENT: 3.10 PM
4. BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Machchipith had remained peaceful despite the Godhra incident. On 15th march, VHP and Bajrang dal had given a call for prayed and Ramdhun in the light of which S. 144 was imposed. In contravention of the above order, a rally of 500 people accompanied with 6 police people reached machipith around 3.10 pm. Many Muslims shops like the Indian Boot House and Tower Shoes were burnt and looted. They danced without clothes. Police came and opened fire at the Muslims and also later on caught hold of 34 Muslims in combing operation. At about 7.30 pm, 20 rounds were fired at the mosque. Again in combing operation, 12 more Muslims were arrested. The area is still unsafe and volatile.
INCIDENT: VISHAL NAGAR
1. NAME OF INCIDENT: NOOR PARK, BARODA
2. DATE: 28.2 02 and 1.3.02
3. BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The looting and burning of Muslim carts started by bajrang dal led crowd which was supported by police. The police and fire brigade did not help the victims. This continued till the first of March. Till date, shops are being looted and burnt and people being harassed.
Click here to return to the index for the Parliamentary Attack Case & Gujarat.