From Albania Today, 1977, 2
At the end of January, the newspaper “No Trasar”, organ of the Communist Party (Marxist-Leninist) of Argentina, published the Joint Statement of the Delegations of the Marxist-Leninist Parties of Latin America. On February 1, the newspaper”«ZËRI I POPULLIT”, organ of the Central Committee of the Party of Labour of Albania, published the text of this Statement which reads:
The delegations of the Central Committees of the Communist Party (Marxist-Leninist) of Argentina, the Communist Party of Bolivia (Marxist-Leninist), the Communist Party of Brazil, the Communist Party of Colombia (Marxist-Leninist), the Revolutionary Communist Party of Chile, the Marxist-Leninist Communist Party of Ecuador, and the Revolutionary Communist Party of Uruguay, which took part in the 7th Congress of the Party of Labour of Albania, availed themselves of the opportunity to organize a fraternal meeting, at which they exchanged opinions on the problems of common interest. The meeting was held in an atmosphere of great internationalist brotherhood and showed the high level of maturity of the bonds which unite the Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America, based on Marxism-Leninism and strengthened through wide ranging exchange of opinions in bilateral, regional, and multi-lateral meetings held in the past. As a result of this meeting the Marxist-Leninist parties named above decided to publish this joint Declaration which is a synthesis of the points of view expressed.
1) The delegations participating in the meeting, unanimously expressed their satisfaction at having taken part in the 7th Congress of the Party of Labour of Albania, which they consider of great significance for the world revolutionary Marxist-Leninist communist movement. The Albanian communists, brothers of the same ideal with the communists of all countries of the world, have raised high the banner of proletarian internationalism and resolute defence of Marxism-Leninism, the invincible weapon of the working class in its struggle for liberation, revolution and the construction of socialism.
2) The delegations of the Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America were united in the opinion that this meeting is taking place in a situation which, in general, is in favour of the peoples and their revolutionary struggles.
The two imperialist superpowers, the United States of America and the Soviet Union, which in their uncurbed rivalry, are hatching up new plots every day against the independence of the nations, and actively preparing a new world war, are the main enemies of the peoples. For their part, the peoples everywhere are mobilizing themselves to defend their vital interests and to fight for their national and social emancipation. The peoples are ever better understanding the policy for world domination which the two superpowers practise, and are striking repeated and powerful blows at them. The progressive forces are trying to forge a broad world front that will unite all those who effectively oppose the hegemonism of the two superpowers and their preparations for war, The liberation struggle must be directed .against both imperialist superpowers. Although it is true that the main enemy differs in different areas of the world, it would be a grave error, in these circumstances, to disregard the threat represented by the other superpower, to link up with one of them to combat the other. Among the peoples the correct idea is maturing that in face of the war threats of the two superpowers, the revolutionary class struggle must be raised to an even higher level to oppose the outbreak of the war, to weaken the base of the aggressive forces, or to turn the unjust war into a just liberation war. Socialist China and Albania are powerful bastions of the world revolution. They are sound and reliable bases for the proletariat and the oppressed peoples. The unity of the revolutionary forces of the whole world with the true socialist countries is a prerequisite for the triumph of the struggle for national independence, people's democracy and socialism, The strengthening of the dictatorship of the proletariat in China and Albania and the consistent support which these countries give the world revolutionary movement are an internationalist contribution carrying on the finest traditions of the period of the lifetime of Lenin and Stalin.
3) In the exchange of information the delegations of the Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America observed once again that the great majority of the peoples of our continent are living under military fascist dictatorial regimes. Political terrorism and suppression of liberties are apparent in almost all the countries of Latin America. Assassination of revolutionaries and torture of patriots and democrats constitute the method most used by the repressive forces in their efforts to strangle the aspirations of the peoples of Latin America for freedom.
These regimes serve imperialist capital which brutally exploits the working people and plunders the wealth of nations. The trusts and monopolies, as well as the ruling class circles linked with them, utilize these military regimes to savagely exploit our peoples and countries, to extract exorbitant profits from them, at a time when the living conditions of the broad masses of the people are getting worse day by day. The victories of the working class are being liquidated, and in many countries its organizations are under police control or are run by agents of the employers. Relying on the reactionary oligarchy and, in particular, the armed forces of our countries, US imperialism is the promoter and supporter of anti-national and anti-popular tyrannical regimes. The Yankees consider Latin America as their support base and an area under their domination; they make huge investments there from which they draw fat profits; they exploit our natural assets; they interfere brazenly in internal policy; they control the repressive apparatuses and exert a decisive influence on the armed forces. This imperialism is the main enemy of the peoples of the continent. Our parties are convinced that the Latin American nations cannot be liberated without attacking and defeating this imperialism, which is particularly rapacious and aggressive on our continent, and without simultaneously liquidating the internal reactionary forces on which it bases itself.
4) The delegations of the Marxist-Leninist parties also considered that Russian social-imperialism is carrying on intensive activities aimed at capturing economic, political, and strategic positions in this part of the world. It offers Latin American countries its so-called aid to camouflage its aims of hegemony and plunder. Just like US imperialism, the social-imperialists are aiming more and more at gaining the support of the reactionary armed forces of the continent, in order to create the conditions to take part in the exploitation of our peoples. This can be seen in Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay and other countries. The aim of the Russian social-imperialists is not to help the liberation of the peoples of Latin America. What they really want is to take part in the exploitation of the resources and expand their sphere of influence on our continent. Their anti-imperialist demagogy is simply a smoke-screen to hide their plans of domination and exploitation. Their pretentious are in opposition to the interests of the United States of America, which cannot make them the slightest concession, and uses every means, even including violence, in its efforts to preserve its hegemonic positions in Latin America.
On the other hand, in their struggle against Yankee imperialism, the Latin American peoples will not permit social-imperialism to sabotage their struggle for national liberation and to take the place of its rival, the United States of America.
5) The delegations present at the meeting stressed the high fighting spirit and the desire of the Latin American peoples to struggle. Despite the heavy blows they have suffered through the establishment of pro-Yankee dictatorships, they have not submitted to their oppressors and are resisting them heroically. The desire for freedom, national independence and the liberating revolution is growing everywhere. Our peoples hate US imperialism and the reactionary and fascist regimes it props up. They also hate the military traitor cliques, which have usurped power in various countries and have turned into stooges of foreign capital and gendarmes to oppress the broad masses of the people. By launching various forms of struggle, ranging from sample protests and strikes to armed struggle, they are giving reaction no respite and are displaying great courage and heroism in militant actions. The working class, the peasantry and the students are the most active forces of the people's resistance. The Marxist-Leninist parties are turning into leading forces of the people's national, democratic and revolutionary movement. They are pointing to the road of revolution, of the armed struggle of the masses of the people and the broad unity of progressive forces and trends, as the only road which can lead the peoples to their true liberation. The struggle for national independence and against the two superpowers calls for the unity of all forces that can be united. But only the proletariat and the Marxist-Leninist parties are capable of leading this struggle consistently to victory. There is no doubt that, despite the great difficulties to be overcome, our peoples will triumph! The future belongs to them.
6) The delegations taking part in the meeting also drew attention to the harmful undermining and counterrevolutionary activity of the so-called “communist” revisionist parties of Latin America. They are striving everywhere to curb the struggle of the masses, to deceive the working people and to serve their social-imperialist masters. Under the pretext that the energetic actions of the masses irritate the military and provoke increased reprisals, they undertake the dirty task of quelling the protest and containing the people's struggles, thus supporting the anti-national and anti-democratic measures which are taken systematically by the reactionary government officials for the super-exploitation of the people. In many countries they have connections with the dictatorships, which give them the right to carry on political activity, a right which is denied the working masses and the people, and they issue slogans against the US monopolies to deceive the people and to conceal their real stand. Their phoney struggle against imperialism is not intended to achieve genuine national liberation and independence. Their real aim is to open the way to Soviet domination. Today, rather than lackeys of the bourgeoisie, the revisionist parties of Latin America are more agents of Russian social-imperialism, its fifth column in the patriotic and people's movement. The conference held in Havana in May 1975, in which all the revisionist parties of the continent took part, was a real conspiracy to betray our peoples. The revisionists have their guns trained on the Marxist-Leninists, the revolutionaries, socialist China and Albania. But there is no future for them. They are in decay throughout Latin-America, with their forces falling away, their followers dwindling, and their policy meeting one defeat after another, as in Chile, here their so-called “peaceful road” was proved a farce. The revisionists will undoubtedly be defeated by the Latin American peoples and revolutionary forces led by the Marxist-Leninist parties. The banner of Marxism-Leninism has always emerged triumphant from the class battles against opportunism, against the agents of the bourgeoisie in the communist and workers' movement.
7) The important question of solidarity and mutual aid was also discussed at the meeting. In the conditions in which the people's revolutionary movement of Latin America is operating, under savage repression, there is an imperative need to develop international solidarity in order to mobilize public opinion in support of the struggle of the peoples against the dictatorships, the reactionary forces, and US imperialism. It was emphasized that the revolutionary armed struggle, as the highest form of the people's struggle, is developing in various countries, in particular in Colombia, where the People's Liberation Army (E.P.L.), the military organization of the Communist Party of Colombia (Marxist-Leninist), resolutely supported by our parties, has been carrying on the fight for more than 8years.
The international solidarity with the victims of reaction helps to strike a blow at the common enemies of the peoples. The denunciation of the use of torture and the assassination of patriots and democrats, as well as the protests against the repressive actions against the people's movement, contribute to the isolation of reactionaries, to the exposure of their policy, and in certain cases, they may stay the hand of the hangmen and save the lives of revolutionaries and patriots. The delegations were in agreement about the need to coordinate the various movements of solidarity, giving them the broadest possible extension, in order to include the progressive organizations and personalities of the various countries. At the present moment, the demand for the immediate release of comrade Mario Echenique, Political Secretary of the Revolutionary Communist Party of Uruguay, arrested in Buenos Aires of Argentina; the patriotic heroine Margarita Baéz, brutally tortured in Asuncion, Paraguay; the veteran Brazilian proletarian militant, Jose Duarte, imprisoned since 1972; the miners' leaders of Bolivia, both those imprisoned in their own country and those interned in Chile; the thousands of revolutionaries and democrats jailed in Chile, Argentina and other countries of the continent, assumes importance.
8) The delegations present at this meeting honoured the memory, and expressed their deep sorrow at the death of comrade Mao Tsetung, the Chairman of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, the undisputed leader of the Chinese people, the great Marxist-Leninist and teacher of the proletariat and all the oppressed peoples of the world. Under the wise leadership of comrade Mao Tsetung and the Communist Party of China, the Chinese proletariat and people forged ahead in their revolutionary struggle, seized power, and established socialism in China. Thus the formerly backward and dependent-China has been transformed into a modern socialist country, a reliable support base for the world revolution. Likewise, under the leadership of comrade Mao Tsetung, the important problem of continuing the class struggle under the dictatorship of the proletariat and preventing the restoration of capitalism in China, has been solved correctly. Comrade Mao Tsetung resolutely upheld the banner of Marxism-Leninism and launched the struggle against modern revisionism, thus making a decisive contribution to the reconstruction of the international Marxist-Leninist communist movement. His example as a revolutionary fighter and his ideas, which have developed Marxism-Leninism, will remain indelible in the hearts and minds of the peoples and communists of the whole world.
9) The delegations of the Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America, hailed the successful results achieved by the 7th Congress of the Party of Labour of Albania. The report presented bythe great and tested Marxist-Leninist, the outstanding leader of the Albanian people and of all the peoples of the world, comrade Enver Hoxha, is a very valuable contribution to the elucidation of the important and decisive problems of the present situation that are concerning the revolutionaries of all the continents. It broadens the perspective of the struggle of the exploited and oppressed and sets the flame of confidence in the triumph of their cause ablaze in their hearts. The fiery appeal it makes for the strengthening of the unity of the international Marxist-Leninist movement aroused lively interest among the delegations. We are sure that comrade Enver Hoxha's contribution will be greatly appreciated by our parties, and will become a source of lessons for the consolidation of their revolutionary activity. The great successes achieved by socialist Albania show how powerful the ideas of Marxism-Leninism are and what a party based on these ideas is capable of doing. The example of the Party of Labour of Albania inspires all the fighters of revolution to drive ahead, overcoming all difficulties, under the banner of the struggle for democracy, national independence, and socialism. The fact that we have beside us the proletarian revolutionary, the outstanding Marxist-Leninist, comrade Enver Hoxha, fills us with joy and enthusiasm. His confidence in the future, his theoretical profundity and his political clarity make him one of the greatest revolutionaries of our time.
10) In concluding this fraternal meeting, the delegations of the Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America expressed their unshaken confidence in the complete victory of Marxism-Leninism over modern revisionism, in the triumph of the working class, and the revolutionary peoples over imperialism, social-imperialism and world reaction. From this meeting we emerged stronger in our fraternal ties and loyalty to the noble ideals of proletarian internationalism, even more convinced of the need to work for the unity of the communist and workers' movement, based on the principles of Marxism-Leninism. Our parties will muster all their energies to achieve this objective in close unity with the Communist Party of China, the Party of Labour of Albania and the international Marxist-Leninist communist movement.
This Statement, as its content shows, is the result of the broad exchange of opinions, of a frank Marxist-Leninist discussion of a number of the most important problems today worrying the parties which have signed it. It is pervaded by the lofty spirit of proletarian internationalism and by the determination and desire to carry forward the revolutionary struggle of the proletariat and the other working masses on the Latin American continent. At the same time, it constitutes a big stride forward on the course of strengthening the unity among the Marxist-Leninist communist parties, an indispensable condition to the victory of the revolution.
The Albanian communists wholeheartedly welcome this multilateral meeting of the sister parties of Latin America and support the correct theses and conclusions collectively confirmed by them. The success of this meeting, which is expressed so clearly in the joint Statement, is based on the loyalty to Marxism-Leninism and proletarian internationalism of the participating parties, on their desire and persistent efforts to strengthen the unity and collaboration among them in the struggle against their common enemies, the military dictatorships, the reactionary forces, U.S. imperialism, Soviet social-imperialism, and the undermining activity of the revisionists.
The dictatorial, military fascist regimes, which are ruling in many countries of Latin America, mercilessly express and exploit the peoples of that continent. Being servile defenders of the U.S. monopolies, they are kept in power through the direct support of U.S. imperialism, which stands behind them. This situation, as the Statement stresses, raises before all the fighters for freedom, independence and socialism the imperative duty to fight, first and foremost, against the reactionary cliques of the various countries and against U.S. imperialism which is the greatest plunderer of the riches of the Latin-American continent, the real ruler of many countries of this area. At the same time, the Statement exposes the efforts of Soviet social-imperialism to seize economic, political and .strategic positions in the area of Latin America.
The Statement devotes an important place to the exposure of the counter-revolutionary activity of the revisionist parties of the countries of Latin America which have undertaken to quell the revolutionary struggle of the working class and the peoples against U.S. imperialism and Soviet social-imperialism, to protect the dictatorial military governments which serve the interests of foreign capitalism, to paralyse the activity of the genuine revolutionary forces, especially of the Marxist-Leninist parties.
The Statement makes a correct assessment of the aggressive, expansionist and hegemonic global policy of the two superpowers, the USA and the Soviet Union. It exposes the plans, intrigues and plots they are hatching up against the freedom and independence of the peoples of the world, as well as against the revolution and socialism. It calls for a broad world front which will unite all those who do not tolerate oppression and exploitation by the two superpowers, who are opposed to the hegemony of the U.S.A and the Soviet Union, who are fighting to undermine their preparations for a new war.
It is because of these correct, consistent, revolutionary stands, based on a principled Marxist-Leninist analysis, with a sound class criterion, that the joint Statement of the Marxist-Leninist communist parties of Latin America rejoices not only the Marxist-Leninists, but also all who are fighting imperialism and social imperialism for the freedom and independence of the peoples. All genuine revolutionaries cannot fail to see in this document that Marxism-Leninism is full of vitality, that it is revolutionary, in thought and action, that it has more youthful vigour than ever. Therefore, we are fully convinced that the joint Statement will have favourable consequences in all the Latin-American and other countries, in which the communist and the Marxist-Leninist parties, which are the most consistent force of the struggle for national and social liberation, are militating. U.S. imperialism and Soviet social-imperialism, revisionism and the reactionary bourgeoisie will be worried by this document and will strive with every means to combat its revolutionary ideas. But no force has ever been able to hinder the Marxist-Leninist truth. It has always forged ahead triumphant. The bourgeoisie and reaction outlaw the communists, but they enjoy the great love and support of the proletariat and people. The fascists prohibit and burn Marxist-Leninist books, but they can never burn Marxism-Leninism, cannot hinder the spread of revolutionary ideas.
The revolutionary content of the joint Statement of the delegations of Latin America proves that it is a document which could be achieved only by parties which are ideologically and politically mature, by parties which are deeply rooted in the revolutionary struggle of the masses, which do not separate their words from their deeds and have in their ranks militants who are ready to make even the supreme sacrifice in the interest of the proletariat and the people. The working class, the peasantry, the patriots and the revolutionary intelligentsia, all the popular masses in the Latin-American countries, need such parties. In the conditions when all these classes and social strata have made the Latin-American continent seethe with their revolts and revolutionary struggle, when the reactionary governments, and together with them U.S. imperialism, find themselves in all-round crises and difficulties, when modern revisionism is steadily losing its political credit among the masses, the cooperation of the genuine Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America assumes special importance.
The revolutionary movement and the liberation struggle of the peoples of Latin America are on the upsurge, not only quantitatively but also qualitatively. There is no doubt that this example will also help the freedom-loving peoples of Africa and other countries to find their road of salvation. The Marxist-Leninist communist parties of Latin America are parties which are following a revolutionary course of action. This is a great fact which proves that the working masses of these countries have risen in revolutionary and liberation struggle. The Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America base themselves firmly on the struggle of the proletariat and the labouring peasantry, a struggle which assists the general cause of the world revolution.
The meeting of the Marxist-Leninist parties of the Latin-American countries is not accidental; it is the fruit of the wise and persistent work of their leaderships. The conditions for such a meeting had been brought to maturity. The bilateral, and especially the multi-lateral talks and exchanges of opinions between a number of parties of that continent, which have been held in recent years, had shown in practice the usefulness of this work and had created the conviction in all the participants that the question of the unity between the Marxist-Leninist communist parties, the cooperation and solidarity among them should be carried further ahead, to the benefit of the struggle for national and social liberation of their peoples.
The all-round cooperation and mutual aid among the Marxist-Leninist parties are powerful weapons in the unequal struggle against imperialism and social-imperialism, against modern revisionism and reaction. Lenin said, “Capital is an international force. In order to triumph over it the international alliance of the workers, their international fraternization are required”.
Our party has always been convinced that it is useful for the Marxist-Leninists to meet, that it is necessary for the Marxist-Leninist parties not only to maintain bilateral contacts, but also to organise multilateral contacts and broad meetings. This firm conviction was reiterated in the report to the 7th Congress of the Party presented by Comrade Enver Hoxha. The usefulness of multilateral meetings lies in the broad discussion of the main problems facing the Marxist-Leninist movement and parties. At these meetings the representatives of the Marxist-Leninist parties freely discuss and exchange their experiences, and make criticism or self-criticism. In this way, the multilateral meetings constitute a valuable aid in working out joint attitudes and in coordinating actions in the revolutionary struggle against the same enemies. They constantly strengthen the international solidarity of the Marxist-Leninists and help consolidate the unity and cooperation among them.
The problems raised by the revolution, which the Marxist-Leninist movement must cope with, are as numerous as they are complicated. By; operating with closed ranks, always basing themselves on the Marxist-Leninist doctrine, the proletariat and its parties overcome difficulties more easily and cope with the tasks of the revolution better. This serves the revolutionary struggle of the working class and masses of the people, the struggle for national and social liberation, the revolution and dictatorship of the proletariat. Our enemies are united, therefore, we should not remain isolated from one another facing their attack. In their struggle, the genuine Marxist-Leninist revolutionaries are guided by the teachings of Marx, Engels, Lenin and Stalin and apply them in the concrete conditions of the countries where they operate. They always bear in mind the interests of the revolution in their own country, but also the interests of the revolution and liberation of the peoples in the other countries. The joint Statement of the delegations of Marxist-Leninist parties of Latin America is inspired by these teachings.
Hailing this Statement, our Party will always stand beside the
Marxist-Leninist comrades of Latin America and all countries in their
resolute struggle against oligarchies and the reactionary bourgeoisie,
U.S. imperialism and Soviet social imperialism, and against modern
revisionism. As Comrade Enver Hoxha stressed at the 7th Congress of the
PLA, it will always uphold the principle of fraternal solidarity and
support between the Marxist-Leninist sister parties on the basis of
Marxism-Leninism and proletarian internationalism, will fight with
unwavering conviction on the Marxist-Leninist road to preserve the
purity of our proletarian ideology, for the triumph of communism.
Click here to return to the
index of archival material.